Wednesday, April 2, 2014

...of Being Live & On the Air!

Hello, hello Future Panthers!

For the past month and a half now, my sister Carly and I have had the opportunity of co-hosting a radio show on the UNI radio station, 94.5 KULT! Since my sister is an Electronic Media major (a totally cool major that I definitely encourage you all to look into), she had the hook-ups and was able to interview/audition for a position as a DJ for the station. Once she got it, she asked me to be her lovely co-host, an offer I couldn't refuse!

Carly getting her DJ on.

KULT is entirely student-run and has been on the up & up the past year. Many students have shows at designated time slots that deal with a variety of themes. My sister and I's show is every Thursday from 9:00 to midnight, and it has definitely been my favorite night of the week each time we've broadcasted. 

Since the station is looking to change its sound as a whole in order to distinguish itself from the other radio stations in the area, and since Carly and I have a pretty eclectic taste in music, we play mostly Alternative Rock/Indie/Punk tunes. Basically, stuff you don't hear on the Top 40 or Country stations. Some of our current favorite artists are Kimbra, The Temper Trap, Arctic Monkeys, Washed Out, and lots more.

In addition to music, we also get to chat about basically whatever we want, from activities on campus and in the community to current events in politics and pop culture. Listeners can call in and request songs or give their opinions on our current topic of discussion, and can tweet at us as well (we're both hopelessly addicted to twitter, so we love hearing from everyone!). We also have guests come on, typically our friends, so it's like having a little party in the sound booth, which is incredibly fun.

Carly, myself, STAR Molly and our friend Madison during a show!

Don't live in the Cedar Valley quite yet? Don't worry, people across the country can tune in by visiting the KULT website, http://www.uni.edu/kult/, and click the "Listen Live" tab, which downloads our RealPlayer. You can listen to KULT 24/7 from any location! Pretty cool, right? Oh, and did I mention? KULT is 100% commercial-free!!

Being a DJ and co-hosting Carly's show has been a blast and I'm excited to see everything the future has in store for us at KULT. Not only is it a great resume booster, but it's become the highlight of my week. Tune in Thursdays from 9:00 to 12:00 and check us out!

Until next time, keep rocking out Future Panthers!

-Emily (STAR)

No comments:

Post a Comment