Wednesday, April 9, 2014

...Of a Surprising Talent

¡Hola Panteras!

As you've read in some of our other STARs' posts, once you leave for college you get really close with your family!  My mom and I have always had a great friendship, but once I left for college we jam-packed my visits home with bonding time.  This spring break, my mom invited me to a super fun event that I am excited to share with my friends in the future and you guys, of course!

Have you ever wished you could draw/paint/have any artistic bone in your body? Yes? Me too! I often feel as though everyone else around me is super talented and I am just here like, "I am really good at sending emails..."

Well, whether you are going to be the next Picasso or you're like me, you can paint a very beautiful picture! Don't believe me? Well:
Yupp, I drew that mysterious woman walking away on a raining day and so did my mom and her friends! Also, yes, I spend my time home with my mom and her friends - they are a ton of fun and it is guaranteed a great time! You will soon experience this too.

Are you still wondering how this works? It is called Vino Van Gogh, and no, you do not have to be 21 to do it! I am underage and I had a great mother/daughter bonding time! Anywho, you start off with a blank canvas and are given an "inspiration painting" to use as a reference.
My mom and I getting a look at the inspiration painting.

There is an artist there that will take you step-by-step through the process.  We started by just painting blue/green streaks on the canvas to get the background.  Then, to draw the woman, the artist literally said "draw a line at this point on the campus."  With those types of instructions, we all made our masterpieces!

What I love about this event is seeing the differences between everyone's paintings! We all were given the same instruction and the same materials, yet each of our paintings are unique.
 
Vino Van Gogh has artists in several locations around the nation, they even have a spot in the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area! I suggest you look them up the next time you want to go on an adventure with your new college friends or spend some valuable time with your lovely momma!
 
~STAR Joslyn

No comments:

Post a Comment