Sunday, March 1, 2015

...Of surviving homesickness



Hey Future Panthers! 

Going to college can be extremely nerve-wracking.  For most people, it is their first experience of having true independence.  A common emotion to feel in the beginning of the year is homesickness.  

Being homesick is different for everyone…  Some people love to go home frequently, and others like only to go home occasionally on breaks.  Either way is totally okay!  Don’t worry about how much you may or may not go home!  Of course, we want you to enjoy your time on campus, so here are a few tips to help you survive homesickness! 

Tip #1: Make new friends!
My friend Rachael and I at the UNI Homecoming game
Making new friends can be intimidating, but it really helps with missing your family and friends back home.  In the first couple of weeks of college, there are many welcome activities- go to them!  This is a great way to meet other people in your hall.  Making friends comes naturally the first week because everyone just wants to get to know each other.  Some of the people I met the first week are my best friends at college; I know I can go to them whenever I am upset or excited, and they will listen and offer hugs, tissues, or even lame jokes to help me feel better.  Keep your door open, smile at familiar faces, and don’t be afraid to introduce yourself…  Chances are that you will meet plenty of wonderful people!
My friends and I went to the Pentatonix concert at UNI together!

Tip #2: Get involved!
Getting involved is a great way to feel more at home on campus.  UNI offers a huge variety of different ways to get involved.  Check out our involvement website at: 
I joined music ensembles and a few clubs relating to my majors, which has helped me stay busy, meet new friends, and make connections within my field of study.  Staying busy will help keep your mind off things that may be happening at home because you will be busy making memories at UNI.
UNI Choir members


I miss my family- especially my little sister; she is my best friend
Tip #3: Call home!
Don’t be afraid to call your family or friends from back home.  Even after being here for almost two semesters, I will still talk to my mom, sister, or friend from high school a couple of times a week to just let them know how I am, what I’m doing at UNI, and even to just vent about stressful situations.  Sometimes, hearing a familiar voice is all you need to help calm yourself down and not worry about being away from home. 
But Skyping friends from high school is helpful

Tip #4: Relax
Classes, activities, social events, etc. can all be very stressful.  We encourage you to be involved and enjoy the entire college experience, but don’t forget to take time for yourself.  Whether this is spending some time watching Netflix, painting your nails, playing video games, knitting, or whatever you love doing, be sure to remember to do something that helps you feel comfortable and less stressed.  I like to paint my nails and read occasionally; it helps takes my thoughts off home, college, and any other stressful matter.  I am able to just relax and focus on being in the moment.  So don’t forget to relax, so you can fully enjoy every other experience at UNI! 

Rachael chooses to relax by playing guitar
Overall, being homesick will happen at least once during your time at UNI, but you will survive!  Remember, don’t compare life at UNI to life at home- they will be two completely different experiences.  Avoid sitting in your dorm room thinking about home constantly.  Instead, take a chance- go meet people, get involved, and enjoy the experience!  

-STAR Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment